Celebrating 75 Years
International Credit Union Day is taking place on Thursday, October 19, 2023, and this year is extra special: it’s the 75th anniversary! On this day for the last three quarters of a century, credit unions from across the country and around the globe have come together to celebrate the credit union movement. We hope you’ll join the League and your credit union peers this year in highlighting how the People Helping People industry works to improve the financial lives of our members and uplift our communities.
In honor of the 75th anniversary of International Credit Union Day, we challenge your credit union to provide 75 meals to those in need through fundraising. However, if raising dollars is not how you would like to commemorate this day, here are five other ways you can get involved in this special celebration:
- Collect (at least!) 75 nonperishable food items in your branches.
- Coordinate a staff volunteer day (or half day) to give back to your community.
- Bring a Financial Fitness Fair or Maine Credit Unions’ award-winning elementary curriculum to schools in your community (email Jake Holmes for assistance).
- Host your members for an open house, contest, or picnic and/or offer door prizes/giveaways.
- Utilize the assets we have put together for you below to engage your members and showcase why belonging to a credit union is so special!
Social Media Assets
Below, please find social media graphics your credit union can use to promote International Credit Union Day. The graphics can be shared with the following sample messages, which you can customize for your social media feeds:
- The credit union industry is all about People Helping People. Join us in celebrating the 75th Anniversary of International Credit Union Day by helping us provide 75 meals to our neighbors in need. Make a tax-deductible donation by visiting www.campaignforendinghunger.org/donate. #ICUDay #PeopleHelpingPeople #CUDifference
- Consider using your credit union’s unique Ending Hunger donation URL. If you need assistance accessing the form/link, please email Lauren McCallum.
- Credit unions care deeply about their communities. In honor of the 75th Anniversary of International Credit Union Day, taking place October 19, we encourage you to support our nonperishable food drive going on now in our branches. Help us reach our goal of collecting 75 items! #ICUDay #PeopleHelpingPeople #CUDifference
- Fewer Characters for X (Twitter): Credit unions care deeply about their communities. In honor of the 75th Anniversary of #ICUDay, we encourage you to support our nonperishable food drive going on now in our branches. With your help, we will collect 75 items. #PeopleHelpingPeople #CUDifference
- Today, we celebrate 75 years of International Credit Union Day. We want to thank you, our members for your continued trust in us to help you reach your financial dreams. #ICUDay #PeopleHelpingPeople #CUDifference
Social media graphics for Facebook, LinkedIn, X (Twitter), and Instagram can be accessed here. Alternatively, you can right click on images to download them individually. Please remember to use the hashtag #ICUDay and consider retweeting or sharing content posted by other credit unions and/or leagues to reinforce the idea that credit union members are part of one global community.
Shareable Vimeo Video from CUNA
Other CUNA/World Council of Credit Unions Resources:
- Coloring Page
- International Credit Union Day Website (World Council)
- International Credit Union Day Website (CUNA)
If you need additional assistance promoting International Credit Union Day at your credit union, please email Jen Burke, AVP – Communication & Outreach, at email@example.com.