While the holidays have come and gone, the team at PeoplesChoice CU continues to reflect on a successful “Gift of Giving” campaign that was launched in December to make the holidays brighter for those in need. As part of this initiative, every PeoplesChoice CU staff member received $50—money they could use to provide support to individuals and organizations in communities that the credit union serves.
From assisting a displaced Afghan family, to helping assisted living communities and domestic abuse survivors, to providing direct financial support to organizations like Firefighters for Kids, the Sanford Food Pantry, and No Bowl Empty 2 Pet Food Pantry, these efforts delivered joy to people all over southern Maine.
Here are a few ways some employees chose to give back:
- Michelle chose to donate her $50 to a member who’s 16-year-old son is fighting leukemia at Maine Medical Center.
- Chris, Kayla, and Joshua donated their amount to Firefighters for Kids, a non-profit organization based out of Cumberland that purchases gifts for families that cannot afford to buy presents for their children. These team members also made personal donations to provide the organization with even more financial support.
- Adam, John, and Kyle purchased gift cards at Target and Wal-Mart and randomly gave them away to customers who were delighted by their unexpected generosity.
- Tori assembled bagged lunches for the homeless in Portland.
- Shannon provided her donation to a family that had recently arrived in Biddeford from Afghanistan. The funds were used to help them get settled in their new home.
- The Wells branch pooled their money together to cover the costs of plowing over four storms for a local elderly woman who lives alone. They also purchased supplies for the Animal Welfare Society using the remainder of their funds, plus some of their own!
- The Sanford branch also combined their funds to assist a local family in need of some love and support. They provided them $100, a $100 Hannaford gift card, credit union swag, and donated Dunkin’ Donuts coffee.
Because the 2021 “Gift of Giving” initiative was so meaningful to the credit union’s employees, they already are making plans to replicate the initiative later this year.