To help re-elect pro-credit union candidates, CUNA announced that it would be investing a record-breaking $7 million dollars to support seven candidates running for Congress in the upcoming mid-term election. One of those candidates is Maine Congressman Bruce Poliquin, who is facing a tight race in the state’s second congressional district.
The candidates are being supported through multi-channel partisan communication campaigns aimed at credit union members. These campaigns consist of targeted communications to credit union members who are registered voters and consist of direct mail, targeted digital media, and members-only websites.
In September, the Maine League began working with CUNA to develop communications that highlight Congressman Poliquin’s deep commitment to the second district. This includes his work protecting Maine’s seniors, fighting for jobs, and helping Maine families keep more money in their wallets. Through a series of mailers and Facebook advertisements that will be distributed in the weeks leading up to the election, the League hopes voters will understand why Congressman Poliquin is a friend to Maine’s credit unions and why he has the League’s endorsed support.
CUNA has engaged in partisan communications for nine election cycles and has supported over 372 candidates for U.S. House and Senate. The additional candidates being supported by CUNA and their respective leagues in this coordinated campaign effort are:
- Senator Claire McCaskill (D-Mo.), with the Heartland Credit Union Association
- Congressman John Culberson (R-Texas), with the Cornerstone Credit Union League
- Congressman Peter Roskam (R-Ill.), with the Illinois Credit Union League
- Congressman Mike Bost (R-Ill.), with the Illinois Credit Union League
- Congressman Rodney Davis, (R-Ill.), with the Illinois Credit Union League
- Congressman Randy Hultgren (R-Ill.), with the Illinois Credit Union League