It’s that time of year! Every April, National CU Youth Month encourages kids to develop healthy habits by making savings fun and exciting. This campaign is your unique opportunity to engage with young members and show them that your credit union is there to help them throughout their financial journey.
In addition to promoting Maine Credit Unions’ new Virtual Financial Fitness Fair, your credit union can engage in a number of activities to help younger members appreciate the importance of putting money aside. Here are some examples of how you can celebrate this month:
- Sponsor contests and giveaways (coloring or writing contests)
- Offer special savings “match” programs for youth accounts
- Create special incentives and promotions for opening a new account
- Host a virtual branch party for younger members
- Promote CU Youth Month on social media using the hashtags #MaineCUsYouthMonth, #CUYouthMonth, and #MaineCUsVirtualFinancialFitnessFair.
- Download and share the CU Youth Month logo created just for Maine credit unions.
CUNA also is conducting a National CU Youth Month Savings Challenge. As part of the challenge, CUNA will randomly select a credit union to receive $1,000 to be awarded as ten $100 prizes for 10 young savers. If your credit union is selected, you will be notified after May 17 via email. To collect your prize from CUNA, you must respond with the names of the 10 young savers who will receive the $100 award. To learn more and register, visit CUNA’s website.
If you have questions about the Virtual Financial Fitness Fair or if you need assistance with developing your credit union’s CU Youth month activities, email Jake Holmes, League Financial Literacy Outreach Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org.