Midcoast FCU is hiring an Accounting Manager at its Freeport location.
Midcoast FCU is seeking an experienced Accounting Manager to direct the operations of our Accounting Department. This individual will be responsible for the complete, accurate, and timely completion of financial and accounting records for the credit union and prepare analysis of operations for management. The Accounting Manager will serve as a supervisor, mentor, and coach to the Accounting team; assist in the development of goals and action plans to meet established departmental and organizational priorities; and provide training to their direct reports and other departments to ensure timely and accurate management of the credit union’s accounting needs. This is a hybrid/remote position based out of our Freeport office with some in-person work required.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
- Accounting Management – Oversee the daily operations of the accounting team and ensure the timely and accurate completion of departmental responsibilities including monthly general ledger reconciliation, accounts payable, and payroll processing. Ensure that the team is cross trained to support each other. Monitor and make recommendations for improvements to the credit union’s internal controls, including maintaining an updated accounting procedures manual. Prepare and review monthly, quarterly, and annual financial and statistical accounting records and financial reports for the credit union in accordance with GAAP. Provide data analysis support and internal reporting for other departments to support companywide goals and strategic initiatives.
- Payroll Management – Primarily responsible for payroll processing (ADP), to ensure payroll processes are administered in compliance with internal credit union policies, as well as applicable federal and state regulations, including applicable wage and hour regulations. Ensure accuracy of monthly, quarterly, and annual filings for SUI & State Income taxes. Ensure accurate and timely transmission of 401(k) deferrals & ER Match funds to plan custodian. Provide reports and annual census data as requested. Prepare monthly payroll journal entries and work closely with the HR Department on new hires, terminations, annual benefits, etc. Provide annual census data and work closely with worker’s compensation annual auditors, 401(k) annual plan testing and others as needed. Perform other tasks within the accounting department, as requested.
- Employee Management – Responsible for hiring, assessing performance, coaching, training, and developing employees. Motivate, direct, and evaluate the work of direct reports while ensuring a positive team atmosphere is maintained between the staff. Work closely with the team to ensure successful alignment for completing routine tasks, assignments, and projects. Keep staff updated on regulatory and/or GAAP changes.
- Compliance Management – Coordinate, assist, and act as a liaison with third party vendors. Coordinate with the Risk Department and assist with research and document preparation for audit engagements for both internal and regulatory audits. Works with auditors/examiners on year-end and comprehensive audits. Assist management with required risk assessments, mitigation efforts, and resolve identified findings, as needed. Stay up to date on regulatory changes impacting the credit union’s accounting practices.
- Facilities Management – Assist with facility maintenance by prioritizing, assigning, and scheduling work; ensuring staff are trained and that employees follow policies and procedures, and maintain a healthy and safe working environment. Coordinate and assist with vendor relationships.
3-5 years similar or related experience, ideally with another credit union or financial institution.
(1) A two-year college degree, or (2) completion of a specialized certification or licensing, or (3) completion of specialized training courses conducted by vendors, or (4) job-specific skills acquired through an apprenticeship program.
Compensation commensurate with experience. We offer a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, short / long term disability, life insurance, 401(k) with employer match program, paid time off, paid birthday off, and additional wellness-based incentives.
To apply, please visit Careers – Midcoast Federal Credit Union (midcoastfcu.me) or submit a resume directly to firstname.lastname@example.org
Midcoast FCU is an Equal Opportunity Employer